Thursday, July 19, 2007

Holding onto Harry

So, with the end of Harry Potter looming ahead, I'm finding it hard to believe this wonderful series is almost over. I have no idea how things will end. The last book ended with such dark and foreboding events, it will be amazing to see the outcome. Being an avid fantasy reader for most of my life, I love the magic and witchcraft and otherworldliness of it all. Enjoying the dragons and sword fights and generally mostly medieval aspects of fantasy has been a favorite of mine. It takes you to a place other than your own world and life. It gives you quite an escape from the everyday. So, with Harry Potter on the verge of completion, another fantasty series is over for me.

Two years ago, it was The Dark Tower by Stephen King. That was amazing! That I will definitely re-read at some point in my life. Of course the most important books in my life and probably the ones that made me a fantasy reader are The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. That series was completed many years ago. There are many other series as well, but too numerous to mention.

Well, Harry it was a pleasure watching you grow up and seeing the wizard you have become. The funny thing is when The Soceror's Stone came out, I was working at B. Dalton books in the CT Post Mall and did not even look at the books. In fact, nothing was even mentioned about them until The Chamber of Secrets came out about a year later. All of a sudden, these silly children's books were the most popular things to read. Hearing numerous reviews from the tons of customers coming into the bookstore, I apparently needed to read these books. Well, I did and was instantly hooked. What a wonderful world with so many interesting characters and definitely the fact that it was a parallel of our world but the Muggles did not realize witches and wizards were living around them, was truly fantastic! Each book just kept increasing the many magical elements and I also felt grew older and darker as Harry would get older. I thought it was truly amazing the way these books were done. Hence, why I could not put them down.

Not only the books themselves, but the customers were going crazy for the audio books. The voice work of Jim Dale was truly marvelous to hear. They were right and so the books as well as the audio books would need to be purchased.

Harry has come a long way. Hopefully, we don't loose any more great characters to death, but one never knows what will happen. It would be really sad if Harry himself did not make it. But whatever the outcome, the stories will remain some of my favorites. Thankfully, there are seven books to read to keep me satiated somewhat. But, I guess a series can only go on for so long.

Thanks for the wonderful characters and stories J. K. Rowling! It has been quite an adventure!

No comments: